Sunday, September 5, 2010

Day 8 - Oxford City and University

Anyone who is reading this post or even watching the slideshow, I have only one thing to say to you - If you ever plan to study further, please try and get into Oxford University. It is unlike anything you have seen before. It's an entire city of students. It is a place which has produced people whose actions have impacted mankind for the last 100 years at least.

If you cannot see the slideshow click on the picture below:
From Oxford

Alpesh had a day off and he accompanied me to Oxford. it's about 2 hours from London and about 1.5 hours from Guildford. On reaching Oxford we decided to check out 2-3 colleges because thats all we would have time for.

It is a beautiful city. Very modern yet deep rooted in history, tradition and culture. I think I would love to study in a city like Oxford if I ever got an opportunity.

Since the new academic year starts in October with the 'Michaelmas' term, there were fewer students in the city and on campuses. I would love to come back(hopefully as a student :P ) when student activities are in full flow. I think this place would be something else.

Again, I was just overwhelmed by space. I have hardly studied in campuses which are more than a building and 1 open ground at most. I saw college campuses at least 100 times the size of my school and college. Though IIM Indore campus is big it cannot match these campuses either in size or in substance (not at present  at least..maybe over time).

Final message - 'Bada game khelo'....we in India have very poor expectations and even poor benchmarks of university education. A visit to oxford can be an eye-opener. If you think you can make it, go ahead and apply. Go to Oxford. Please do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!!

would definitely try hard to reach here....

Rashmi said...

In that case, you must go to Campbridge. Go punting and cycling across the university city. Yes, the awe-factor is huge, but u'll get over it :)