Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day 2 - London Bridge, World War II and French dinner



Woke up really early at 6 am. Moved around the house and went out and realised how cold it was. Took a few pictures. Alpesh and Harshal had to leave early for work and I told him I would leave on my own since he would not be back until 12pm. Next I remember I wake up to an empty room at 11.30 am and realised I had just slept off again.

Anyway, so we leave the house now at about 12.30pm walking in the light drizzle to Guildford station. We took a long route as Alpesh wanted to show me his former university of Surrey. Now most universities in this part of the world have great infrastructure irrespective of the location or the university’s reputation. I was amazed at the Performing Arts Studio in there. Let me not even start talking about the football grounds and other sporting facilities. I didn’t take pictures due to the rain.

Took a fast train to London-Waterloo via Woking. It takes about 40 mins to Waterloo. During the course of the journey we spoke about Alpesh’s experience here over the last 2 years. So the house is owned by a Pakistani and has been rented by all Indians – 2 Gujjus, 2 Marathis and 1 Sardar. It’s funny how Gujjus-Marathis stay together even in pardes. Natural affinity I guess :p It’s fascinating also to know what kind of people come here from India and for what reasons. But we’ll talk about that some other time. The quality of travel on Southwest trains is satisfactory and there are nice sights from the glass windows. Overall a great experience. They sell liquor and packaged foods and drinks on the train and I was trying to figure out what kind of sales must be made each day. I have not travelled yet in peak hours so would be difficult to know.

So we reach London Waterloo. Waterloo as you would remember is supposed to be historic. Alpesh showed me some famous clock at the station. In fact the remaining part of the day remained immersed in history. So we go to London Bridge station from there and Alpesh left me near the Queen’s walk start because he had to give a presentation in his college. Interestingly, his co-presenter was a Pakistani girl and she had made the entire presentation. Alpesh was free riding :p

So now I was alone. I had to decide where to go. Alpesh would meet me after 4 hours. It was drizzling and I spent time at the waterfront of the River Thames. From here on I shall let the pictures do most of the talking.




For more pictures right click on the link below and open in a new tab:

London 2010


I was in full World War II mode here at the Britain at War museum. Since I was a student it cost me 6.5 GBP. There is a movie at the start and then the museum. What I find fascinating is the quality of posters and communication at that time. It was funny and put the message across very succinctly. The Blitz zone is quite good too where they try to recreate the german bombings effect.
And then of course Mr.Churchill! In school I was always a german supporter when the world war was taught. But since the time I was introduced to the quotes, speeches and writing of Mr.Churchill its difficult not to admire the man.

Next, I spent time at the Queen's walk and went to the city hall. I was told the Mayor takes questions from the general public every week. Thats is to begin in September again now. Met a very nice lady guard who told me which places to see around. Met Alpesh there and we ate a veggie 'spicy' burger at Mcdonalds. They need to change their definition of spicy. Also we had to wait about 10 mins for our burger to come.

Alpesh had to get back to work so went and met Karine, an exchange student from Lyon who had come to IIM Indore last year. She is working in London and she invited me to join her for a birthday dinner of her friend. Now before you think I gate crashed, let me just tell you that it was a dinner where everywhere paid and was not a treat. So I met 4 French young professionals working in London. Nice to listen to their experiences here in London. It was very sweet of Karine to come see me off to the underground station. We were on oxford and bond street which are supposed to be shopping paradises for women.

All in all a brilliant day.

1 comment:

Prasid said...

"and I was trying to figure out what kind of sales must be made each day "

Dear Doshi,

There is something called "enjoying the moment".

Please do that instead of building business plans out of selling eateries in a train at a country u came to stay for a week!